THE Dispatch

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Bike Stand FAQ

As a pro mechanic I get asked a lot "What bike stand should I buy for my bike?" So as I am answering this question via email I thought I would post my reply. No pics, just the facts.

I have done some research and have found an "issue." As you probably know most bike stands clamp to the seatpost for numerous reasons and most bikes in our world come with a round seatpost. However ironically the Soloist Carbon seatpost and S-Works Tarmac do not fall under that "most" category. What does this mean? Your seatpost may not be able to fit in the traditional bike stand clamp and you never want to clamp a carbon frame in a clamp either. This is all just from the pictures I have seen and maybe it is not as ovalized as I am thinking.

Either you still will be able to use the traditional clamp like the Park Tool PCS-4 and the Ultimate Support Pro-Classic or you might have to use a road bike specific stand like the Park Tool PRS-20 and Tacx Spider Team.

Here's the breakdown on stands. You get what you pay for so obviously if you buy the most expensive stand then you get the best stand. If you go with the traditional clamp stand and stability is most important then go with a Park Tool stand, but if mobility (lightweight) are more important aspects then i would go with the Ultimate Support. On the flip side however when going with a road bike specific stand the Tacx Spider Team is more stable than the PT PRS-20 but the Park Tool stand is more mobile and easier to move around. In closing this thought though all listed stands are of excellent quality, I am just being precise.

What do I own/use? For mountain bikes: Ultimate Support Pro-Elite; for road bikes: Park Tool PRS-21.


Cheers!

No comments: